Bitter Cynical Rants from One as Snarky as Waldorf and As Sexy as Statler.

Monday, September 22, 2003

OPEN LETTER TO KOFI ANNAN AND THE GREENWICH OBSERVATORY:

I write this letter to both you, Mr. Annan (Can I call you Kofi?) and the Greenwich Observatory as I am not sure which of you is in charge of worldwide initiatives, but this is my request. I would like a 3 day weekend, I understand in this day and age we need the productivity of a 5 day work week. Thus I propose a change in the calendar from a seven day, 52 week calendar to an eight day, 46 week year. I understand because of the earth's rotation we would need to keep the year to 365 days, but isn't the rest negotiable? We could call the eighth day kofiday or possibly 'wichday, or kofiwichday. It would be a worldwide day of rest (I propose our new day come in between Friday and Saturday). I understand that biblical lore states that god rested on the seventh day, I will not argue this point, but add, do we know what god did on the eighth day? (our newly added day of the week?). Building an entire universe must be exhausting. God had to need two days to rest and one day to run the errands he neglected during the 6 days of creating the earth before she began her tenure as ruler of all things. Not to mention, and I think both of you would agree, we as humans are flawed, and if god needs a day of rest than certainly we need at least two. (add the day for errand running or football watching and you have the obligatory 3 day weekend). I feel that if we collaborated - combining the heads of states (that's where you would come in Kofi) and the backing of the world's time keeper (Greenwich are you with me?) we could make this happen. Greenwich, although this is a large initiative, we've adjusted seconds off the clock before. What's adding a day? And the creation of a new calendar would bring with it capital. Everyone would have to buy new calendars. Especially if we rolled out the new week at some insanely inconvenient time. I say February 15th.

Call me. We'll talk.

Best Regards,

Andrea Wolinetz

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home