Bitter Cynical Rants from One as Snarky as Waldorf and As Sexy as Statler.

Wednesday, January 28, 2004

And the Oscar Goes To...

so the nominations are out. And now I have a problem. You see, every year I have to see every film nominated for best picture. Its just a thing that I do. When the golden globe nominees came out I already began bemoaning the fact that I was going to have to see Cold Mountain. Besides the fact that I'm not much for foreigners doing southern accents for 3 hours, do we really need another civil war movie? I held off for as long as I could. It looks as though it paid off, I am off the hook as far as seeing Cold Mountain is concerned. This should make me happy, yes? EXCEPT, now I have to see Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (Shouldn't there be a word limitation in movie titles??). I would have rather sat through Cold Mountain 3 times in a row than watch Russell Crowe on a boat. The last time I found Russell Crowe watchable was as Sid 6.7 in Virtuosity. This is just plain horrible.

Also, I'm surprised at how different the Oscar Nominees varied from the Golden Globes. Some thirteen year old kid was nominated for whale rider, instead of Evan Rachel Woodd being nominated for Thirteen. And it seems as though the AMPAS loved In America, which I can't seem to get myself to see.

Speaking of the Golden Globes, I must say that every year there is one category that blows my mind. And that's Best Supporting Actor/Actress for anything aired on television (or as they laud it Best Supporting Actor in a television series, mini series or made for TV movie). Ok really, how is this fair? How can one compare the quality of roles between Angels in America and Will and Grace? Seriously, if we're going to skimp on awards, why not get rid of other ridiculous categories and split that up a little bit? Also, as much as I've been addicted to The Office, (did y'all see the episode with the dildo?), I'm confused as to why it was nominated, its not an American show and isn't the golden globes about all things Hollywood, not foreign? Someone help me out here. Please.

well not as if you care or asked, but here's my picks for OSCAR. When I get them all correct, hold your applause, I prefer a good meal at Jean Georges or Daniel.

Best Picture Lord of the Rings, its got everything for every voter, violence, pretty scenery, homoeroticism, and Liv Tyler.

Best Actor- this is a toughie, I'm gonna go with Bill Murray, even though the odds are probably in Sean Penn's favor. But keep an eye out for Ghandi

Best Actress - Charlize Theron, although if her acceptance speech is anything like it was for the Globes, she'll win for most annoying speech as well.

Supporting Actor - Tim Robbins.
Most Political Speech, coming dangerously close to being banned from further Oscars - Tim Robbins.

Supporting Actress - Renee Zellweger. ugh, I'm not happy about it, but she'll win.

Most Pissed About Not Being Nominated Tie. From the ex hubby and wife team of Nicole Kidman and Tom Cruise

Best Decision by the Nominating CommitteeNot nominating Cold Mountain, Tom Cruise or Nicole Kidman

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home