Bitter Cynical Rants from One as Snarky as Waldorf and As Sexy as Statler.

Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Fitter, Happier, More Productive....No Chance of Escape, Now Self Employed

I've been asked many times by many different people over the past couple of months about my decision involving my most recent career change. "Andrea," they say "Why spend all of that money on culinary school only to turn around, go back to school and start teaching in the fall?" I had anticipated the asking of this question so much that I didn't tell anyone (save 2 people) that I had applied for the teaching fellows program until after I had been accepted. I had a plan.

The plan: Apply to teaching fellows program. Acquire MA in education without accruing any more debt. Start teaching. Have my summers off. Use those summers off to go be someone's personal chef at their compound on the hamptons/martha's vineyard/nantucket/the cape/ etc... sublet my apartment for said summers. Gain double salary while doing two things that I love.

I begin my training with the teaching fellows immanently. So, the first half of the plan has paid off. Now for the second part. Do you remember a while ago I was hired to cater a private dinner party? Well the person who hired me has just hired me again. AS HER PERSONAL CHEF. 4 dinners per week to be dropped off on Sunday nights. Thank you Universe! I get to continue to hone my skills. I get paid a good amount of money to do it. I will have a great reference for those summers upcoming. I can tell the catering company to shove it once and for all.

To recap:
1. get started on that 4th degree - check!
2. accrue no more debt - check!
3. teach elementary school in brooklyn - check!
4. get great private chef gig - check!
5. make enough money to actually begin saving - check!
6. have a plan and make it work (even though people thought you were crazy) - check!

its all coming together people. its all coming together.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home