Bitter Cynical Rants from One as Snarky as Waldorf and As Sexy as Statler.

Thursday, November 06, 2003

The Ups and (Mostly) Downs of Being a NY Sports Fan

I have this mildly funny joke that I use quite frequently. It goes something like this:

Q: What's the difference between a dollar and the Knicks?
A: A dollar has four quarters

Once again, the Knicks came out last night looking great. Once again they can't frigging win one. Since Don Cheney has taken over the helm of this underachieving squadron of overpaid men they are yet to go .500. Understanding that the Knicks are still paying Van Gundy and are way over the salary cap, I still wonder why the hell is this fucking moron still the coach? Hire Whoopi Goldberg, these clowns in a Knickerbockers uniform are almost as terrible as that god awful movie Eddie, or better yet, hire me, I'd take the job for a paltry sum in comparison to what your paying Cheney. If Steinbrenner owned the Knicks, Cheney wouldn't have lasted four games, and if Billy Martin were still alive, he'd probably be coaching basketball right now.

Speaking of Steinbrenner anyone read this today? Now, I love Donny Baseball as much as the next guy. He was the man when I was growing up a Yankee fan. When people talk #23, its Mattingly I think of, not Jordan. But Araton's got a good point. No one ever talks about Willie Randolph, an upstanding player, an upstanding guy, and someone who knows the ins and outs of being BOTH a Yankee player and part of their managing team. Why isn't anyone talking about him succeeding Joe? A little food for thought.

as for the other men who play at the Garden, I had the great pleasure of watching Mess score his 1850 and 1851st points on Tuesday night surpassing Gordie Howe and becoming #2 on the all time points list. Way to go Mess! And we shut out Dallas. Good times at the Garden have been few and far between in the past couple of years, it was nice to go see a game there and not leave in utter disgust. Let's Go Rangers.....

It's been a while...

Since I've complained about something totally aggravating about my morning commute. This morning I had the pleasure of riding in the same car as two full grown men (both at least 40) arguing as to who pushed whom to get optimal standing area on a crowded subway. Using all the normal explicatives, these two men literally called each other names for a good two stops. At which point some woman interjected and basically asked them to calm down and stop. To which one replied, "He fucking elbowed me." The other then piped in, "He elbowed me first." I kid you not. They were still bickering like pre-schoolers when I exited the train. I wonder if anyone gave them a time out. Don't we have better things to do with our time people?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home