Bitter Cynical Rants from One as Snarky as Waldorf and As Sexy as Statler.

Wednesday, October 29, 2003

You Have to Be Kidding me MTV

So last night, I had the privilege of watching Rich Girls on MTV. It was totally appalling. The show follows around two teenage socialites. Younger than those damned pesky Hilton sisters, last nights episode focused on the girls prom and their preparations. It was a half an hour of watching two 17 year old girls spend more money than I will ever make in a life time. The most profound moment of the show? While Shopping for her dress Ali says, "I'd get Ralph Lauren, but I'm not sure Pops would approve ." (Pops being "the man who invented Cargo Pants" - Tommy Hilfiger). There was very little plot and a whole lot of name dropping. It was terribly hard to believe that people actually live like this. And just a tad bit frightening. I think the reality thing has sunk to new levels. I mean seriously, the whole 30 minutes was devoted to a shopping spree. OK minus some whining about whether or not to lose one's virginity on prom night or not. It was horrible. Shame on you MTV. And, yes, I'll be watching again next Tuesday night. Damned you people.

In other gluttonous TV watching last night, ahhh the Gilmore Girls. OK, I love this show, but I'm starting to get really confused. As Pamie says, this show exists in some bizarre world where the normal space/time continuum doesn't exist. I have no idea how far Stars Hollow is supposed to be from Yale, but there is no sense of day or time accuracy. Also, Rory my love, make some friends and relax, you're getting a little creepy.

Speaking of a little creepy. Can we talk about crazy toy tycoons?

Weeklong 40th birthday for your wife on Sardinia- $2million of your company's money
Entering your yacht in a race in Southampton, England - $111,000 of your company's money
Hiring Jimmy Buffett for private performance - $250,000 of your company's money (and well worth it, I might add)
An Ice sculpture of Michelangelo's David that urinated Vodka - priceless.

Now, I understand that the party was paid for with Tyco's money, but are we putting this guy on trial for stealing or for the kind of party he threw??? I'm not sure if showing the videotape (cut or uncut) is the point, but maybe I just find the whole thing damned amusing. Opulent, yes. Worse than had he stolen the $2M for a "classy" canapes and caviar cocktail party, not so sure. Tell me what you think.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home